To save the Federal Government somewhere between $173,000,000 and $598,000,000 (OR MORE) over the next 12 months… by reducing the amount of copier/printer paper consumed and therefore the equivalent: (1) budget expenditure; and (2) paper (i.e. natural resources) wasted.
Relatively large savings to the budget could be realized by imposing four simple practices on Executive Branch employees:
1. Require that all documents be produced using a FONT “type” that uses less space for each character.
2. Require that all documents be produced using a smaller FONT “size”.
3. Require that all documents be produced using narrower margins than are currently required.
4. Require that all documents be copied/printed using the “double-side” function, allowing for up to a 50% reduction in the number of pages used for any copy/print project.
METHODOLOGY for CALCULATIONS:
I created 36 different documents (using the exact same number of words, and general MS Word characteristic and functioning) utilizing 3 different FONT TYPES, 3 different FONT SIZES, and 4 different MARGIN SETS to compare the size of documents relative to a “Standard Document” of the following characteristics:
• FONT TYPE Arial
• FONT SIZE 11 (eleven)
• MARGIN WIDTH 1”
• DOCUMENT LENGTH 100 pages
Institue the use of 11-Pt, ‘Arial Narrow’ Font with a “Custom” Margin Width, and Double-Sided Printing / Copying by the Executive Branch. I have calculated that this recommendation could result in as much as a $395M+ savings to the Executive Branch’s budget IN THE FIRST YEAR. I am also recommending that GSA mandate that all desktops and laptops have this (recommended) font and double-siding printing be set as default settings. And that this same font be mandated as the required font for all Electronic Mail.
These reasonable requirements for word processing and electronic messaging will result in substantial savings to the NRC and the Federal Government!